St. Mary's PTFA Constitution
The Constitution was agreed at the AGM of Tuesday September 24th 2019
1. The name of the Association shall be the St. Mary's Parent, Teacher and Friends Association (PTFA).
2. The object of the Association is to advance the education of the pupils of the school and encourage co-operation between home and school. In furtherance of this object the Association may:
a. Develop more extended relationships between the staff, parents and others associated with the school.
b. Engage in activities that support the school and advance the education of the pupils attending it.
c. Provide and assist in the provision of such facilities or items for education at the school (not provided from statutory funds) as the committee, in consultation with the Governing body, shall from time to time determine.
d. Enhance the partnership between home and school.
3. The association shall be non-political.
4. Membership of the Associate shall be open to all teaching staff, parents/guardians with children attending the school. Past parents/guardians, grandparents, friends of the school, ancillary staff and Governors may be accepted as “friends” (hence PTFA) and shall be entitled to full membership with the exception that they do not serve on the Committee.
5. Management of the Association shall be vested in a committee.
a. The maximum the Committee shall be twelve.
b. A quorum for the Committee shall be four (1/3). The Chairperson shall have a casting vote.
6. Committee meetings to be held at least once a term. These meetings shall be open to all members of the Association but only Committee members may vote.
7. The Committee shall elect;
a. A Chairperson
b. A Vice-Chairperson
c. A Treasurer
d. A Secretary
A member of Staff (other than the Head) may be nominated by the Head to serve on the Committee.
i. The election of the Officers and the committee shall take place at the AGM. They will serve until the next AGM.
ii. Vacancies arising after the AGM may be filled by the co-opting of the Committee for the remaining length of time the original member would have served.
8. The AGM shall be held during the first half of the School’s Autumn term. All members shall be invited to attend and shall be invited to forward, before the date of the AGM, items for the agenda and nominations for Committee members.
9. The Head teacher shall be the President of the Association and the ex-officio a member of the committee.
10. The names of vice-president may be submitted at the AGM (these are usually people the Association wishes to honour.)
11. The Committee’s proposed activities shall be decided in consultation with the Head teacher.
12. The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of the meetings and for the correspondence of the Association.
13. The Treasurer shall be responsible for all monies and shall keep an account of income and expenditure.
14. The bank account(s) shall be in the name of “St. Mary’s Parents’ Association” and withdrawals shall be made in the name of the Association on the signature of the Head teacher or Chairperson and any one of the following: Chairperson, Treasurer or Secretary. The account(s) shall be audited annually by two persons who are not members of the committee. The financial year end of the Association shall be 31st of August
15. The Association shall take out Public Liability and Personal Accident Insurance to cover its meetings, activities, Officers and Committee.
16. The Association may be dissolved by a resolution presented at a Special General Meeting call for this purpose. The resolution must have the assent of two thirds of those present and voting. Such resolution may give instruction for the disposal of any assets remaining after satisfying any outstanding debts and liabilities. These assets shall not be distributed amongst the member of the Association but will be given to the school for the benefit of the children of the school, or in the event of school closure, to the school to which the majority of the children of the closing school will go, in any manner which is exclusively charitable in law. If effect cannot be given to this provision then the assets shall be given to some other charitable purpose.
17. Special General Meetings may be called at the written request of a minimum of ten members of the Association.
18. Thirty days notice shall be given to all members of the Association of any AGM or Special General Meeting.
19. Any matter not provided for in the Constitution and concerning the organisation and/or activities of the Association shall be dealt with by the Committee whose decision shall be final.
20. No Alteration to this Constitution may be made except at the AGM or a Special General Meeting called for this purpose. Alteration to the Constitution shall receive the assent of two thirds of the members present and voting at the AGM or Special General Meeting. No amendments or alterations shall be made without the prior written permission of The Charity Commission to Clauses 2, 16, 20. No alteration or amendment shall be made to objects clause or dissolution clause which would cause the Association to cease to be a Charity at law.
a. Where funds of over £300 are raised, 2 counters must be present for the final count to check and verify the monies received before deposit.